Student Visas

A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to come to the United States in order to study must generally obtain a student visa in order to do so.  The two principle types of nonimmigrant student visas are F-1 visas and M-1 visas.

The F-1 visa (Academic Student) category allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or in a language training program.  The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F or M student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by an approved school.   Once you are accepted to a school, the school will provide you with a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

If you are interested in applying for a student visa, please contact John L. Wheaton, Attorney at Law at (206) 829-8214.