Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status is the process by which a person who is in the United States obtains his or her green card.  In order to be eligible for adjustment of status, an applicant must generally have been inspected and admitted into the United States.  In order to adjust status, an applicant files form I-485 with supporting documentary evidence.

A person who is not eligible to adjust status because he entered the country without inspection may still be able to obtain his or her green card through consular processing.  Consular processing involves returning to one’s country of origin to obtain a green card through the U.S. consulate in that country.

If you believe you may be eligible to adjust status, please contact John L. Wheaton, Attorney at Law at (206) 829-8214.   Also visit the government web page on adjustment of status for more information.

Click Here to Request a Consultation